Spay/Neuter & Wellness Veterinary Assistant
Website Merrimack River Feline Rescue Society
Caring for cats in need
MRFRS is seeking skilled and compassionate Veterinarians, Veterinary Technicians and Veterinary Assistants who are interested in being a part of our team and helping us address the significant need for low cost spay neuter and wellness for cats and caretakers in eastern MA and southern NH as a member of our MRFRS Medical Team.
MRFRS’s Catmobile Program is a mobile spay/neuter clinic designed specifically for cats. Since hitting the road in 2008, the MRFRS Catmobile has been responsible for spaying/neutering over 68,000 cats, making a significant contribution to the reduction of feline overpopulation and an increase in feline wellness in our region.
The Catmobile Program covers the North Shore, South Shore, Central MA, MetroWest, Merrimack River Valley and greater Boston areas. Our locations are chosen thoughtfully to meet community needs, which we know based on our own data, where client requests are coming from, and a recently conducted needs assessment/survey. Veterinary teams can cover all or just portions of our service areas. Help us design the perfect position for you.
- Flexible locations served
- Competitive pay
- Qualifies for the Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program as a non-profit organization. https://studentaid.gov/manage-loans/forgiveness-cancellation/public-service
- Paid time off / sick time
- Career development opportunities
- Tufts Health Plan
- A brand new mobile veterinary vehicle
- Ability to help shape the future of our veterinary services programs and the knowledge that at the end of each day, you have helped the most vulnerable and in need cats and caretakers out there
The successful Veterinary Assistant applicant will:
- Have strong customer service experience/skills
- Be an outgoing and patient “people person” with strong communication skills
- Be well organized and able to work within a variety of software
- Be a proactive and goal drive team player
Full-time; Hourly; Non-exempt; Hourly Rate = $15 – $20 depending on experience
Role and Responsibilities
- Assist veterinarian to maximize productivity, maintain flow and optimal client care.
- Assist with surgery preparation and procedures in accordance with Massachusetts Veterinary Practice Act.
- Obtain relevant health history and information from cat owners and update them in Clinic HQ.
- Communicate with clients about procedures performed, follow-up care, any recognized pet health concerns and offer guidance on additional treatments per veterinarian recommendations.
- Prepare and administer medications, vaccines and treatments as prescribed by the veterinarian.
- Assist with surgical preparation, inductions, and recovery of patients with direction and supervision of veterinarian.
- Care for and monitor the condition of cats recovering from surgery.
- Collect, prepare, and label samples for laboratory testing.
- Document clients visit in Clinic HQ.
- Clean instruments, equipment, surfaces, and other materials.
- Assist Catmobile Program Coordinator when needed and flex to other organizational tasks when CM is non operational.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
The position is a full-time hourly position. Typically four, ten-hour days, allowing flexibility for scheduling and when operations are concluded.
This position has no direct supervisor responsibilities.
- Collaboration in a team environment.
- Problem solving/analysis.
- Project management.
- Communication proficiency: able to communicate effectively with a wide variety of clients.
- Ethical conduct: adhere to the mission statement and guiding principles of MRFRS.
- Strong customer service skills.
Qualifications and Education Requirements
- High School diploma or equivalent.
- 1+ years of experience in animal care or in a clinic preferred.
- Valid driver’s license, reliable transportation, a clean driving record.
- Animal handling skill and experience.
- Ability to lift 40 pounds regularly and 60 pounds occasionally.
Environmental Conditions: This position will be required to perform duties inside and outside of a mobile spay/neuter unit in physically tight conditions on the vehicle, and in all weather conditions outside the vehicle. Interaction with CM staff, the public and clients. Interaction with cats, some of which may be fractious, carry parasites, and or zoonotic disease. The use of veterinary medical equipment and electronics such as cell phones and computers.
Noise: Conditions on the vehicle can be loud during operations.
Working Conditions: Interaction with clients occurs outdoors, regardless of weather. The CM workspace is tight. Some days may run long. Some clients can be challenging.
Manual Duties/Physical Requirements
Essential Job Functions: Veterinary records review. Support the veterinarian as she/he examines, medically treats, and provides spay/neuter surgery to patients. Perform patient prep, monitoring, and discharge. Physically lift and move cats, carriers, supplies and equipment.
Marginal Job Functions: Drive the s/n vehicle to and from each clinic location. Ensure necessary supplies and equipment are available. Load and unload of supplies. With MRFRS management and others, ensure that the vehicle is safe to drive, and that the clinic is safe to operate (equipment is functional, safe temperatures etc. can be maintained). Flex to other organizational tasks when CM is non-operational.
Must pass a background check performed on all employees at time of employment and periodically during employment.
Merrimack River Feline Rescue Society is an equal opportunity employer. No applicant for employment or employee of MRFRS is denied equal opportunity because of race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy, status as a parent, marital status, national origin, age, disability (physical or mental), family medical history or genetic information, political affiliation, military service or other legally protected status in its employment pursuant to state and federal laws.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a complete list of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities will change from time to time to meet the needs of the department, our company and our customers. Employees are expected to perform duties as assigned, even if they fall outside this job description.
How to apply
To apply, please send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com. No phone calls please. In the cover letter, describe your relevant experience and skills. Position will remain open until filled.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org