Spay/Neuter & Wellness Veterinarian
Website Merrimack River Feline Rescue Society
Caring for cats in need
MRFRS is seeking skilled and compassionate Veterinarians, Veterinary Technicians and Veterinary Assistants who are interested in being a part of our team and helping us address the significant need for low cost spay neuter and wellness for cats and caretakers in eastern MA and southern NH as a member of our MRFRS Medical Team.
MRFRS’s Catmobile Program is a mobile spay/neuter clinic designed specifically for cats. Since hitting the road in 2008, the MRFRS Catmobile has been responsible for spaying/neutering over 68,000 cats, making a significant contribution to the reduction of feline overpopulation and an increase in feline wellness in our region.
The Catmobile Program covers the North Shore, South Shore, Central MA, MetroWest, Merrimack River Valley and greater Boston areas. Our locations are chosen thoughtfully to meet community needs, which we know based on our own data, where client requests are coming from, and a recently conducted needs assessment/survey. Veterinary teams can cover all or just portions of our service areas. Help us design the perfect position for you.
- Flexible locations served
- Competitive pay
- Qualifies for the Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program as a non-profit organization. https://studentaid.gov/manage-loans/forgiveness-cancellation/public-service
- Paid time off / sick time
- Career development opportunities
- Tufts Health Plan
- A brand new mobile veterinary vehicle
- Ability to help shape the future of our veterinary services programs and the knowledge that at the end of each day, you have helped the most vulnerable and in need cats and caretakers out there.
Duties and Responsibilities
Medical and Surgical Care
- Oversee and assist with intakes and discharges as needed to optimize the flow of patients.
- Review all pre op medical records, if applicable. Consulting with the patients’ primary veterinarian, if applicable.
- Examine, medically treat, spay, and neuter patients.
- Provide for an efficient flow of patients through their medical procedures.
- Oversee documentation of all exam findings, treatments, vaccinations, and surgery on the medical records.
- Oversee the documentation of all findings, test results and treatment recommendations in Clinic HQ.
- Communicate effectively cross-departmentally.
- Assist in writing, editing and updating protocols for the Catmobile program.
- Provide veterinary information to other departments of MRFRS.
- Maintain strict control of, and adhere to all related drugs and drug log regulations.
- Provide input for budget preparation for the Catmobile Program.
- Provide direction to the Catmobile Medical Team during and in support of operations.
- Work collaboratively with the CM Program Coordinator and assist in developing the Catmobile schedule.
- Communicate professionally with clients and relay relevant veterinary information about the patients.
- Oversee the provision of discharge instructions.
- Adhere to the mission and guiding principles of MRFRS.
- Adhere to all protocols put forth by Occupational Safety and Health Administration.
- Follow all written and verbally communicated Standard Operating Procedures.
- Interact effectively with a variety of people in all types of situations. Evaluate problems accurately and display good, sound judgment.
- Maintain a license to practice veterinary medicine in MA.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
The position can be Full Time, Exempt or Part Time, Nonexempt. Hours will vary based on several variables which include but are not limited to days per week, distance driven to locations, traffic, weather, client volume and timeliness, operational or mechanical complications.
This position has no direct staff from a human resources standpoint but does supervise and direct the actions of the veterinary technician(s) and support staff during daily operations on the Catmobile and during other veterinary operations. The veterinarian will also contribute to technician and support staff job descriptions, training, and reviews. MRFRS aspires to inspire and will occasionally welcome Veterinarians and Technicians to work with and learn from our teams.
- Function at all levels of team roles.
- Ability to quickly assess various situations and respond appropriately.
Qualifications and Education Requirements
- Doctor of Veterinary Medicine with current license to practice in MA.
- Data entry / basic computer experience
- Valid driver’s license, reliable transportation, a clean driving record and be willing to drive the mobile clinic.
- Animal handling skill and experience.
- Ability to lift 40 pounds regularly and 60 pounds occasionally.
- Maintain a license to practice veterinary medicine in MA.
- Maintain current DEA license and MCSR.
- Maintaining PLIT Insurance is highly recommended.
Environmental Conditions: This position will be required to perform duties inside and outside of a mobile spay/neuter unit in physically tight conditions on the vehicle, and in all weather conditions outside the vehicle. Interaction with CM staff, the public and clients. Interaction with cats, some of which may be fractious, carry parasites, and or zoonotic disease. The use of veterinary medical equipment and electronics such as cell phones and computers.
Noise: Conditions on the vehicle can be loud during operations.
Working Conditions: Interaction with clients occurs outdoors, regardless of weather. The CM workspace is tight. Some days may run long. Some clients can be challenging.
Manual Duties/Physical Requirements
Essential Job Functions: Veterinary records review. Examine, medically treat, and provide spay neuter surgery to patients. Oversee patient prep, monitoring and discharge. Physically lift and move cats, carriers and equipment.
Marginal Job Functions: Drive the s/n vehicle to and from each clinic location. Ensure necessary supplies and equipment are available. Load and unload of supplies. With MRFRS management and others, ensure that the vehicle is safe to drive, and that the clinic is safe to operate (equipment is functional, safe temperatures etc. can be maintained).
Pass a background check performed on all employees at time of employment and periodically during employment.
Merrimack River Feline Rescue Society is an equal opportunity employer. No applicant for employment or employee of MRFRS is denied equal opportunity because of race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy, status as a parent, marital status, national origin, age, disability (physical or mental), family medical history or genetic information, political affiliation, military service or other legally protected status in its employment pursuant to state and federal laws.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a complete list of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities will change from time to time to meet the needs of the department, our company and our customers. Employees are expected to perform duties as assigned, even if they fall outside this job description.
How to apply
To apply, please send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls please. In the cover letter, describe your relevant experience and skills. Position will remain open until filled.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com